Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Around the Net

I got a little burned out last night with the amount of work from school I've been dealing with so I shrugged it off and decided to a spend the rest of the night not worrying about it. I caught up on some sleep, did some reading (finally got to Book 2 of Dune, it's taken me a month to get into it), and aimlessly wandered the net. Good times.

*I seperated the Poker stuff into a seperate blog (Look for Poker Blog under Links on the right) for those that I play/talk about it with.

I came across some interesting/funny/strange things I figured I'd share. Have you guys heard of the Chuck Norris jokes? I'm sure you have.



Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

Since 1940, the year Chuck Norris was born, roundhouse kick related deaths have increased 13,000 percent.

Filming on location for Walker: Texas Ranger, Chuck Norris brought a stillborn baby lamb back to life by giving it a prolonged beard rub. Shortly after the farm animal sprang back to life and a crowd had gathered, Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked the animal, breaking its neck, to remind the crew once more that Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.

And Chuck's favorite one, and mine too:

They once tried to carve Chuck Norris's face into Mount Rushmore, but the granite wasn't hard enough for his beard.

Click his picture for more.





The Million Dollar Homepage



Alex Tew, a 21 year old Wiltshire, England student, launched this website in August of last year. It is a 1000x1000 pixel grid, or 1 million pixels total. He put up each pixel on this grid for sell. For $1, you can buy a pixel and put a small image on it linking anywhere you like. He hoped to pay for his college education with it. Well, he filled up the grid in 5 months. That's 1 million pixels at $1 per pixel. You do the math. I may soon be working on the Million Dollar Homepage 2 :).





Google Earth



Wow. This thing is just amazing. By now satellites have pretty much mapped out the entire Earth. Google Earth is a program you can download for free (just google it) that puts the Earth at your fingertips. You can instantly zoom around the globe looking things as big as states or entire cities all the way down to individual cars. I think I saw my truck parked where I live. No lie. Occasionally, funny pictures pop up of people caught sunbathing behind their house. These aren't live pictures, as that would be impossible right now, but do get updated. Here's a few things I searched for while I was on:


Remerton (The big parking lot next to the building is the one in front of the bars)


The Mall


Statue of Liberty


Washington Monument


Eiffel Tower


Mount Everest


Cruise Ship Capsized by Typhoon (from Oddpeak.com)



These are real pictures. You can look at them from any distance above the Earth you want. These aren't just photos I picked up; I actually moved around the areas until I found what I was looking for and zoomed in to get a good picture. You can look at the entire boot of Italy and zoom all the way down until you can see cars, buildings, and people. Rome is very nice.


It's cool to be at one spot, type in another across the globe, and watch the Earth fall away, circle the ocean, and zoom back in on the new site. Your on this globe too, wherever you were when that area was scanned. I also looked at Alma, VSU, Mount Everest, Venice, Great Wall of China, and New York (the skyscrapers look awesome). Check it out!





That's all for now.

Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get that?!?1

Anonymous said...

the boat pic looks kinda odd